HELLO OUT THERE!!!
Anyone still reading this?
Yes, I have been MIA for the past few weeks, er, months. But I promise that I wasn’t ignoring you on purpose or favoring lavish parties and shopping extravaganzas over spilling my guts to all of you fine folks. Nope, I’ve been a bit preoccupied with…
MOVING TO KENTUCKY! No big deal, right?
We left our beloved DC the first week of June, drove on down here and slowly but surely have begun to unpack our new life in the Bluegrass state. It was a decision we’d been mulling over since Matt got his new project here, and after going over and over all the details and making Excel spreadsheets and deciding then not deciding then surrendering to the cold hard facts, here we are.
And despite missing DC a lot, especially all of our close friends, it looks like all of my mason-jar-collecting, country-song-listening and cowboy-boots-wearing prepared me well…I love it here!!
Yes, we have only been here for one full week, but so far, so good, y’all. Of course, it is very, very different from DC. But the things that DC and I fought about most (we had some relationship issues) don’t seem to be an issue here. We have a much bigger apartment (read: CLOSET SPACE), are in short driving distance (read: across the street) to places like Target, Hobby Lobby, Michaels….and LOFT, and the sense of community is overwhelming. Everyone is so nice, all “yes ma’am” and such, and the air is so fresh. I’ve spotted a zillion fireflies, hear nothing but crickets in the evening and gaze up at the night sky to find more than ten stars. Plus, I can wear my cowboy boots and fit right in anywhere I go!
That said, I’m sure I will have growing pains with Lexington, too. First up: running trails. We haven’t found one yet that is longer than two miles (looping seemed like a good idea but gets old quick) and running on the street gets you a whole ‘lotta honks and hollers. Seriously, I don’t think people here are used to seeing anyone run, let alone a girl. I might wear a full-length body suit next time. Other things I have learned about Lexington and myself, summed up by hashtags:
1) Starbucks baristas actually smile here AND offer to put your milk/creamer in for you. If you don’t go for it, the only DIY carafe is half & half. Since I’m totally that girl who puts skim milk in her coffee but in actuality really really really loves it with half & half, I now “forget” to tell them I want milk and just haveeeee to use half & half. #winning
2) The Walgreens cashier wants to talk to you about any and all of your purchases. This makes it really annoying to be in line behind someone who is buying 20 things. Or when you go in to buy toilet paper. #awkward
3) Target here sells pint and a half mason jars. For $9 a case. #SOLD!
4) Speaking of Target, when you have one across the street from your apartment, you will go there every day. Sometimes twice a day. Same goes for LOFT. #sorrymatt
5) When packing and unpacking, expiration dates have been my best friend. Without them, I would take food hoarding to the next level. They are the only reason I will throw something out. (“Pumpkin jell-o? When did I buy this? Well I’m sure I could make something with it…”) #expiredin2011
6) Being able to work from home and watch Hoda and Kathie Lee at 10 a.m. every day is the greatest.thing.ever. But at 11 a.m. when Racheal Ray comes on, I enter total panic mode. (read: “Oh my gosh, it is 11 a.m. and I haven’t brushed my hair, changed out of my pajamas or seen the light of day! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!? Maybe I should walk to Target and get fresh air…”) #housewifeproblems
7) Speaking of walking…when you make a joke to your friend about how you haven’t gone “so country that you walk around outside barefoot,” your right sandal will inevitably break the next day and you will have to walk back from the pool to your apartment, barefoot. On really really really hot pavement. That they are currently re-pouring. So ten construction workers will witness you going “so country that I walk around outside barefoot.” #itsbritneybitch
8) Matt bought me Zumba for Xbox because he was sick of hearing me whine about how much I miss my Zumba class and instructor (Hi Dion!) in DC. Apparently, my fantastic dance moves (read: flailing, salsa-like mom dancing) don’t translate digitally. #thesehipsdontlieandneitherdoesmylowscore
Besides these small discoveries, we’ve also made larger ones in the “things to do in Lexington, KY” category. While I was a bit worried at first that there wouldn’t be too much going on (especially compared to the hustle and bustle of DC), Matt and I actually filled our weekend to the brim! I’m working on a little weekend re-cap now, so hopefully I can find time in my extremely busy schedule to post that. I’m off to Buffalo on Thursday and will be there on and off for the next four weeks (this weekend if one of my best friend’s bachelorette party, the following weekend we have a wedding in Saratoga, the following weekend we are in Jacksonville and the weekend after that, TWO weddings in Buffalo!) I plan to completely wear out my welcome so that my Ma stops asking me when I am moving back home.
Wow, I missed telling you guys about my life and all the weird things I think (and say out loud) when I am wandering around aimlessly. Y’all come back now, ya hear?!