Happy (belated) St. Patrick’s Day!
I know…I’m a bit late. But I don’t have a drop of Irish blood in me so you can’t technically be mad. Also – I have a gift for you! Well, two actually, if you’d like a video of me playing the bagpipes.
Yes, the bagpipes. Obviously it was an entire weekend of shenanigans, thanks to my brother Dave’s visit from Seattle. Combine his visit with a bus load of Buffalonians, a St. Bonaventure playoff basketball game and a holiday devoted to drinking and that’s what you get – me in a Bona’s jersey playing the bagpipes. No big deal.
Don’t worry – my other gift is a lot better. And much, much smoother than an amateur Irish instrument player.
I had searched for the perfect St. Patrick’s Day treat for a while, as I was determined to make something really tasty with something really alcoholic. (‘tis the season, right?) I had my heart set on Guinness brownies when this recipe somehow found its way to my computer screen. I think it was fate.
And I don’t mess with fate.
Especially when fate promises you a rich and creamy drink filled with coffee, chocolate syrup and whiskey. That is ten times better than the real thing. And that is perfectly acceptable to drink at 9 a.m. (on ANY day, not just St. Patty’s.)
Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream:
Adapted from Cupcake Project
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
- 1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour all ingredients into a blender. Whip up on high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and give it a shake before using. Stores for two months in the fridge – but good luck saving it for that long! I made two batches and they completely disappeared in one hour flat.
Now if only fate would answer that “you just inherited an Italian villa and ten zillion dollars” call.
Until then, at least I have a promising career on the bagpipe!